To After That by Renee Gladmad is an odd book. It's almost like watching a show on the Food Network. You have an intimate view of an author (like a chef) showing you a step-by-step proses of creating their masterpiece, a novella (a meal) and giving you hints and tips along the way. She's totally breaking the forth wall talking directly to you, which is different form most book I read. I do feel like it was a bit of overkill though, she repeats herself and adds a lot of information that has nothing to do with anything. When you're reading a long novel repetition and inane information can sometimes be good to remind the reader and give them a break, and throw them off, if its a mystery; but in such a short novella it's somewhat infuriating. And then when we get to actually explains parts of her novella I feel lost. Why is the waffle iron important? Who's making the waffles, Charlotte or R? If she thought getting you to read this book would get you to read her other book, she was wrong.
I feel like I can some what relate to this book. When I tried to write a book, I did similar things. It took me a while to get started, but when I did it became an obsession. I did the whole napkin thing. I slept with a notepad next to my bed to write down ideas. The reason I stopped writing the book was because I lost my idea notebook. I had passages written, sketches and story webs in there.
Bisou, ciao, tschüss, じゃあ & TTFN,
~se(an)drew~

No comments:
Post a Comment
S'il vous plait/ Please/どうぞ
soyez gentil(e)/ be nice/ してください、いいです
merci/ thank you/ ありがとう